Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Gulf Coast and New Orleans, Day 1

Oh my goodness, what a day!  I think I had more surprises in one day yesterday than I have had all week!

Let's start with Florida because that, of course, is where we started our day.  Now, if you have been reading, you know that Eric and I have stayed at a couple of hostels, one of which was in the middle of the woods.  We've also camped, a lot.  On Tuesday night, we slept at the Days Inn.  Then we woke up with itchy bumps all over our arms and feet.  Ew.  I find it very ironic that the places we stay at to "clean up" look nice enough, but turn out to be the dirtiest.  No more Days Inn for me.

After our encounter with the bugs, the day surprised us in a good way.  We decided that, although it would take us a couple of extra hours, we would try to stay along the coast as much as possible.  I am so glad we did, because the Gulf Coast is gorgeous.  Seriously. GOR-GEOUS.  Who knew that Alabama had a beach?  Let alone, that the beach was nicer than any Caribbean beach I've visited. I sure as hell didn't.  (I would, however, like to note that I'm making a point here.  I've seen a map.  I'm just saying...)

First, we went to the Gulf Islands National Seashore near Pensacola. 









Pink sand!








Anyway, so we drove through Pensacola to Alabama, stopped on the gorgeous beach, collected some shells, and some tar.  Yup, tar.  The stuff was all around.  It wasn't gross or covering the beach or anything, but it was there for those that looked.  I picked some up and broke it apart, and it got all over my hands.  And it was sticky.  And really hard to get off.  I feel so bad for the sea life that was covered in the stuff a year ago.













Again, we take great photos.



We got to the end of the island we were driving on, and what looked like a bridge on the map turned out to be a ferry. (That's what that funny little dotted line means...) Surprise!  Oops...
Fortunately, the ferry was not that expensive ($20) and not that long (30 minutes).  Plus, we got to see dolphins, pelicans, hermit crabs, oil in the water, 50 oil rigs, and propaganda from the ExxonMobil corporation.  Just lovely those folks are.  Now, I know that if we tapped it all, there is enough oil in the Gulf to power our entire country.  However, I think it's time we all reduced our carbon footprint just a little, okay a LOT, because oil rigs really ruin the scenery.  Plus, they're awful for the ocean ecosystem, and are not fool proof.  (Way to go, BP)
Okay, so that's my hippie go green speech for the day.  Reduce your carbon footprint, and I will tell you about the wonders of New Orleans.

Birds and oil rigs.



This was on the ferry.

Yeah, okay.



OH MY GOD I LOVE IT HERE.  That's all I can say that could possibly do justice to this magical place.  It's like Charleston without the yuppiness, Savannah without the boatyard, and Cape May but bigger.  I swear, it's like somebody took all of the things I love and wrapped them up and called them New Orleans.  I'm in love.
We are staying at the India House Hostel here.  It's all the way up Canal street, and not it the nicest part of town.  I say this because many of the buildings are not totally rebuilt, some are empty, and still more are boarded up.  I'm sure every inch of this place was exquisite 6 years ago, but let's not go there.  Despite the questionability of the neighborhood, the people are nice, the neighborhood folk seem friendly and not at all like they want to mug me, and it's  about a block from the trolley.
Which brings me to awesomeness point #1: there is a trolley here.  No smelly subway, no homeless people begging next to you, no guy singing and asking for money.  Just a nice lady who lets you on for free when you don't have proper change, then runs across the street to the deli to get change for someone else at the next stop.  The neighborhood may seem sketchy, but you don't see anyone, anywhere, leaving their vehicle running and jogging across the street to do a favor for a guy without change.  Just saying.
We got off the trolley at Bourbon Street and did a little happy dance.  The place is touristy, but still so cool.  In total contrast to Nashville, Bourbon street seems genuine.  Yes, there are a ton of bars, but they are not all chains.  Each hole-in-the-wall place has its own personality and charm.  If I had to name a fault, there may have been a few too many strip clubs for my taste.  But, I still love you, Bourbon Street.
After a few blocks, we meandered off Bourbon (read: got distracted by all the pretty houses) and look at all the cool architecture of the French Quarter.  Oh my GOD I want to live there.  You get to have city living in a 300 year old house/ condo/ apartment.  You can tell how much people love living here by their meticulously groomed balconies, porches, and roofs.  Each house is unique, and so well taken care of, it's amazing.  I got lost for a good hour and a half walking, pointing, saying "oh my god, look at that one," and running down the street.  Simply spectacular.
After traipsing around staring at peoples' houses, we headed down to the riverfront where we proceeded to ooh and aah at the river and the buildings on the river and the view of the city behind us.  (Eric, I'm sure, would like me to say he did something more manly than jump up and down and giggle and ooh and aah at the buildings.  I assure you, my friends, he appreciated the view like the best of us.)
After our feet had had enough, we settled in for some music.  We hit three places throughout the course of the evening, each a bit different than the last.  The first was more like a restaurant.  We ate yummy food and drank yummy beer though, so the lackluster of the band was just fine.  The second band we saw was dressed in seersucker suits.  They were awesome.  (This means a lot coming from me, I like show tunes and Sara Bareilles)  The third band was in the middle.  Really good, but not as great as the second.
Before I go, I must say something about the after effects of Hurricane Katrina.  We have been wandering around the nicest part (so far) of this city, and there are still boarded up windows, buildings being gutted, and entire high-rise buildings that are empty.  I have no idea what it looked like before, because I've never been here before.  But, I can tell enough for it to make me exceptionally sad that this city is still suffering.  There are so many people that still need help, that still need homes, or that have homes, but can't afford to fix them. Come to New Orleans.  Help the economy.  It's the most amazing place I've been.  I promise you will love it too.

The end.






Mardi Gras beads!



















We want to live here. We're taking donations.























No comments:

Post a Comment